“This building derives its name from the governor of
‘Akká who had occupied it in the early decades of the nineteenth century.
It was the residence of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá for some thirteen years until he moved
to Haifa, and it was here that He received the first pilgrims from the
West on 10 December 1898. In the pilgrims’ dining room in the House of
á, ‘Abdu’l-Bahá gave the explanations which were compiled
by Laura Dreyfus Barney during her pilgrimage from 1904 to 1906, and were
later published as Some Answered Questions
. The eastern end of the upper
floor was the part of the house occupied by the members of the Holy Family.
Off the large central hall of this wing is the room of Bahíyyih Kh
the Greatest Holy Leaf, where the remains of the Báb were kept secretly
for many years prior to being transferred to Mount Carmel.”
Visiting Bahá’í Holy Places, p. 21.