“This structure was built on one of the sites where Bahá’u’lláh pitched His tent. The plans for this building were drawn up at the request of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá and He modified them until they suited His requirements. The construction work began in His lifetime and finished at the time of the Guardian. Originally the building acted as the Western Pilgrim House and from 1951 housed the International Bahá’í Council as well. From 1963 to 1983 it served as the Seat of the Universal House of Justice. From 1983 to 2000 it was occupied by the International Teaching Centre. Currently the Bahá’í International Community Secretariat and related offices utilize the premises.”
Visiting Bahá’í Holy Places, p. 39.